In designing technical equipment and processes, security must always play a key role. Careful consideration and prevention of health risks and environmental impacts bring significant savings and competitive advantage over the long term. In addition, product safety is subject to a number of laws and regulations that are strictly enforced.
What kind of service are you looking for?
Comatec offers comprehensive services related to, among other things, product safety, environmental safety and occupational safety.
Product Safety Services
Managing and coordinating product safety in product development projects
Product safety requirements concerning the product should be taken into consideration from the start of the product development project until the completion of the project. This way, ensuring the product’s conformity is as effortless and cost-efficient as possible. Whoever brings a product to the market is responsible for ensuring the conformity of the product. It should be noted that a machine built for a company’s own use is also considered to have been brought to the market.
Comatec offers the following product safety management and coordination services for the purposes of product development, among others:
- Product liability: Allocating the obligations set by the requirements
- Product safety plans
- Defining mandatory requirements specific to a market area
- Defining the tasks called for by the requirements and including them in the correct stages of the project
- Managing product design work to ensure conformity
- Design support
- Training associated with the applicable requirements
- Carrying out product safety work, such as conformity reviews with the applicable requirements
- Risk assessments, including:
- Machine safety
- Fire safety
- System analyses, including operational safety
- Preparing and compiling the product safety documentation called for by the requirements
- For instance, documents required for a CE marking
- Manuals and other technical documentation
Comprehensive product safety solutions from design to implementation
Comatec can offer you an overall solution for product safety, or just the part you need. With our services, making your product conform to the current product safety requirements could not be easier.
Comatec offers the following overall product safety solutions, among others:
- Machine safety modernisations
- Product development projects
- Production machinery and equipment
- Machine lines and robot cells
- Lifting accessories
Making the product conform with CE marking requirements
Products to be brought to the market in the European Economic Area must be equipped with the CE marking, if they fall under the scope of any directive requiring the CE marking. For instance, the CE marking of a machine requires that the machine meets the requirements of the directives concerning it, a technical file is available, the machine is equipped with instructions, the conformity assessment procedures follow the requirements of the directives and an EU declaration of conformity has been drawn up. We will help you ensure your product’s conformity with the requirements for the CE marking.
Comatec offers a comprehensive service for products such as:
- New machinery
- Imported machinery
- Old machinery for which the intended use is considered to have changed
- Other products for which the CE marking is required
Tools for safety management
Do you have a need for product safety tools? We can develop product safety management tools that meet your needs and conform to the current product safety requirements. If necessary, we can also define your needs for you.
Comatec offers safety management tools for the following needs, among others:
- Risk assessment and management methods
- Conformity review methods
- Creating a product safety process for the company
- Product liability management methods
Machine safety consultation
Comatec offers the following machine safety consultation services, among others:
- Safety reviews, including:
- Production machinery and machine lines
- Imported machinery
- Machines manufactured for own use
- Defining product safety work needs
- Enabling entry to market
- Inspecting and preparing documents, such as:
- Operating instructions
- Risk assessments
- Conformity reviews
- Declaration of conformity templates
Safety requirements for vehicles
When bringing any motor vehicle or its trailer to the market, a type approval helps the entry to the market and the free movement of the vehicle within the EU. In order for the vehicle to be approved for traffic use, it must meet the requirements of the legislation in each area (e.g., breaks, lights, etc.) Requirements for motor vehicles are given in both national and EU legislation and the UNECE (United Nations Economic Commission for Europe) regulations. Comatec’s experts help you find out the requirements concerning your vehicle. We are particularly familiar with:
- Tractors and farming and forestry trailers
Operational and Robot safety consultation
By utilising standardised safety processes and assessment methods, we ensure the reliability and safety level of safety automation systems. We also design and document the safety procedures for robot cells as a part of the design process.
Expert services related to occupational safety
A safe workplace is a benefit for both the company and employees. Diminishing occupational safety risks decreases health-related absences and improves working efficiency and job satisfaction. The key is recognising the risks in time and informing people of them. Comatec offers the following expert services related to occupational safety, among others:
- Occupational safety risk assessments
- Risk assessment for the whole workplace
- Risk assessment for a single job
- Occupational safety counselling, such as:
- Safety walk consultation
- Occupational safety guidelines for the workplace
- Customised safety training for your company’s needs
Expert services related to environmental safety
Protecting the environment is constantly emphasised in companies’ operations. The Environmental Protection Act 527/2014 for its part obligates companies to prevent environmental pollution. In addition, green values improve the company’s corporate image. In addition to emissions to the atmosphere and other substances hazardous to the environment, large flows of waste may burden the environment. Preventing environmental damage is often cheaper than repairing the damage.
Comatec offers the following expert services related to environmental safety, among others:
- Environmental risk assessment
- Recycling counselling
- Surveying the categories of waste produced at the site and planning their recycling
- Personnel training
Expert services related to chemical and fire safety expert services
Chemicals are a significant hazard for both workers and the environment. The use of chemicals in companies’ operations is governed by extensive chemicals legislation, including the Chemicals Act 599/2013 and the Chemicals Safety Act 390/2005.
The scope of the use of chemicals and the hazard level of the chemicals used define the company’s obligations to prepare for accidents. Ratio calculation can be used to determine whether the company needs to apply for a permit for its operations, or if a notification to the authorities is enough. In any case, a company must know its operations and the chemicals being used. Through appropriate preparations, accidents can be avoided and the scope of damage limited.
Comatec offers the following expert services related to chemical safety, among others:
- Chemical risk assessment,
- For example, as a part of occupational safety or environmental risk assessment
- Provides the basis for appropriate storage and handling of chemicals
- Ratio calculation: Defines the company’s obligations for making preparations
- Creating an operating principle document, safety report and internal rescue plan
- Chemical consultation, for example, the interpretation of safety data sheets
Comatec’s experts also assist in questions related to fire safety as a part of product development projects. The rescue plan is the overall guideline for safety. It is based on the obligation decreed in the Rescue Act 379/2011 and the Government Decree on Rescue Services 407/2011 to create a document that promotes the prevention of accidents and guides the actions during emergencies.
Safety is primarily based on competent staff. Often, the most difficult part of risk management is educating the personnel in the procedures and then implementing them in practice. Together with Comatec’s experts, you can customise the safety training so that it exactly matches your needs, such as:
- Chemical safety training – e.g., the use and storage of chemicals, safety data sheets
- Risk assessment training – methods for the continuous assessment of risks in the company
Our product safety training provides you with up-to-date information on product safety requirements and their practical application. We will customise the level and subjects of the training according to your needs.
Comatec offers the following product safety training courses, among others:
- Machine design in accordance with the CE marking requirements
- Training related to directives and standards
- Training for personnel working with machines
- Training for procurement personnel
- Training customised according to the customer’s wishes and needs
Are you looking for more information about safety engineering?
The following links will help you get to know more about safety technology standards, regulations, and statistics. Links have been updated 18.5.2017:
- Machinery Directive
- Low Voltage Directive
- Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive
- Pressure Equipment Directive
- Equipment for potentially explosive atmospheres (ATEX)
- Harmonised Standards
- Finnish Standards Association SFS
- Damage and Accident Register in Finnish
- Damage and Accident Investigation in Finnish
- Occupational Safety and Health Legislation in Finnish
- Environmental Damage Legislation in Finnish
- Chemicals Legislation in Finnish
- Rescue Act in Finnish